Thursday, August 7, 2014

Review of City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Before I get into my review, I want to tell you that I don't do this very often. Cassandra Clare is the first author in which I had to wait for her books to come out, or at least, the first author that I cared so much about that I would cry every time I see one of her books on my bookshelf. She is the first author that I have continuously stuck with throughout the years, which is why it took so long to write this review. But here it is--so enjoy!

Somehow, words just cannot express this book.

But I will make a courageous attempt to try, although I most likely will fall short from expressing just how much Cassandra Clare has changed my life. In short, this book was a phenomenal ending to an equally phenomenal series. It has brought me all the feels


But here comes the life story of how I got to meet Jace and Clary. You can skip it if you want:

I started reading YA half a decade before I would even turn 13. Yeah. I read Twilight when I was eight years old. I read The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo when I was ten. Both times, my English teachers were horrified and tried to yank the books out of my hands. But no--I was hooked! I started reading a ton of YA beginning in the summer before middle school, mostly due to the fact that I spent all my time in the library because my house had crappy air conditioning. 

That is when I began the City of Bones. I had never read anything quite like Cassandra Clare, an author who could invoke so many emotions that at points, I didn't even know the name of what I was feeling anymore. I fell in love with Jace. I learned with Clary. I laughed at Simon's jokes, and I lived among the Shadowhunters and the Downworlders. 


At this time, there were only three books in The Mortal Instruments. When I finished all of them, I was so satisfied and so utterly happy that I began crying. Yeah, I was quite the emotional reader even back then. I loved Cassandra Clare--but then, no! I found out that there was another book in the series, and I became horrified and scared of how she would ruin the happy ending.


At the end of City of Fallen Angels, I began crying once again (the librarians looked at me weird, but I was too enamored with the book) because she had ruined everything Or at least, that's what I told my ten year old self. I angrily ranted to my older sister (who just rolled her eyes, as she didn't even like City of Bones. I know, the horror) who told me to calm down. 


I calmed down. And waited. And waited. And waited and waited and waited for City of Lost Souls to come out. When I got it for my birthday, I skipped into my room and read the whole thing. And once again, Cassandra Clare launched me into another emotional roller coaster, and left me craving for more! So I waited and waited, and at this point, I even discovered The Infernal Devices. But at the time, there was only one book out. So I waited for both of the series to release the next book, and I cried and had book hangover and thought my life would never be complete.


Fast forward to the release of Clockwork Princess. Even though it had a stupid movie sticker that I just couldn't get off and even though I was spoiled by the (beautiful but spoiler-y) inside cover, I adored it more than anything. And obviously, as per being an emotional reader, I sobbed at the end (and the middle. And the beginning). Because that was the end of Will Herondale (is it a spoiler saying that he isn't immortal? I don't think so--I mean, all mortals die so...) who had become the epitome of my prince. Well obviously, he was Will Herondale


Now, fast forward to the release of City of Heavenly Fire

.
So here's my actual review! Thanks for waiting/reading my thoughts as an emotional reader:
This series is now ingrained into my childhood, and I hope that one day, when I am an adult and the Dark Artifices will be finished, I can always tearfully look back and proclaim, "I am a Shadowhunter." Even though I can not claim the rune powers of Clary or Jace's fighting skills (or his death wish), I can always say that I lived beside them. They were my heroes--they were my friends. By just turning through the pages of City of Heavenly Fire, I get a taste of the many lives I have had as a reader.


But enough with the sentimentality. (And I know I've said this two times already, but this is the actual truth) Review time!


Cassandra Clare has created such a rich and poignant world, one that I will continue to never forget. City of Heavenly Fire was heartbreaking, but only in the best way that, as Cassandra Clare said, I would never trade for all the glitter in Magnus's loft. She is truly one of the most eloquent writers I know, and her ability to combine comedy with sadness is still astounding, even after spending years with her books. 
This was truly a satisfying attending to a brilliant series. There is a war, there is romance, there is death, and there is tragedy. But isn't that just Clare combing all aspects of human living, and making it into something we all can understand--fantasy? This is a book about sacrifice, about love, about everything that can make me start sobbing like a little baby so I'll just stop it right there. 


Something I continue to love about Cassandra Clare is how she can incorporate other worlds of Shadowhunter (ie: Tessa's world) with the modern one (Clary's world). Any mention of Will, yeah, I break down crying or giggling. When Tessa came, I cheered (and scared my neighbors because I was reading it on my front porch). And when Clary mentioned the Herondale family, I immediately burst out laughing, picturing Will's response to that. She has constructed these characters in a way that is so realistic, even amongst the werewolves and demon-hunters (ok, shadowhunters. Demon-hunters sounds cooler). 


It is because I can connect to these characters so well, despite having practically nothing in common with them, which is why I have continuously supported Cassie Clare's work. That's the reason I fangirl every time she answers a question about the shadowhuter world on tumblr--that is why I stalk her page and read the lengthy FAQ about the shadowhunter world, even though I already know everything.
I will not forget the Shadowhunter world, and I continue to miss Clary, Jace, Simon, Magnus, and every single living being that resides there. Thank you, Cassandra Clare, for this spectacular journey.


 You can also find this review on my Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment